Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What else would you do in a vespers service?

Yesterday, I tried to conjure God out of an equation.

It's kinda difficult to do, but once you follow a certain sequence of events, it's the obvious result of what has been done.

I tried to think my way through existence, looking for something stronger than 'I doubt therefore I think; I think therefore I am'. It's not easy. Saying 'I think therefore I am' assumes that you are thinking - and a person who has problems thinking probably won't see the problem in their own thinking (i.e. a person who has problems in cognition will have more problems with metacognition).
I tried 'I love therefore I am'...similar problems. The result - 'He loves, therefore He creates; He creates, therefore I am'. My demolition was that a conclusion is only as strong as the weakest premise - positing God doesn't make Him so (btw, I wasn't /trying/ to conjure God out of an equation).

But, having thought about this overnight, it's not as illogical as I first thought. Assuming that we exist (which we do), at some point we have to work from what we know and find the most logical explanation for what we don't know - sometimes that will mean working backwards...kinda like string theory's other 26 dimensions :)

3 comments:

Ian said...

Oh my.

I only think about shopping!
[Lord, have mercy!; my mind does wander at times...I try and bring it back.]

Anonymous said...

The key is to be present, and not to think...not to 'try to figure it out'. How can a finite mind contemplate the infinite? Being present is enough, and being open allows the spiritual gifts to enter. Gifts - you can't buy them, you don't deserve them, you can't earn them...they are free to those who hope and wait, and pray for faith. "Lord I believe, help Thou my unbelief."

Pistevo said...

ORLY?
We were given reason, logic - in short, a brain - so that we could discard it? Christ, the Logos (Word/Reason) would be utterly incomprehensible under these conditions.

No. We have a brain, we have reason, not simply as an adornment, but to use - and we must. (obvious corollary - it is by use of this reason that we can logically see the limits of reason)