Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Change of Life

So, I've gone on a leave of absence from uni - I've decided to take this semester off entirely.

In a couple of months, I'm intending to take a trip to visit my brother in China, and stay there for a month; then come back for a month, hopefully make another trip for a couple of months. That should take me through to first semester next year, when hopefully, I'll be fully refreshed and able to tackle the wonders of educational theory and practice.

But, to lifeblog this month...
  • All theological essays were submitted on time, much to my relief.
  • I managed to make it to most of the Supplicatory Canon services this Dormition fast. Gave me a good reason to get out of the house - today, actually, has been the first day in quite some time when I had neither reason to get out of the house nor thing to do for the day!
  • Was asked to adjudicate three debates in the state debating finals series this year - two for year 9s, one for year 8s. Was very impressed with one of the debates, was appalled by one and indifferent with the third. Not all debates are top-notch affairs in the first round of finals - you have to weed out the ones that come from lesser regions (which, not to sound snobbish, usually includes those furthest away from the capital).
  • Have been treated to a lecture series on the Ecumenical Councils these last weeks, from the First through the Sixth (as of last night). I already knew the basics around the councils, of course, as well as a number of the key players, but particularly as we got past around 400 I found my knowledge of the background of the councils being somewhat deficient, so I have found significant portions of the lectures to be quite beneficial. I must say, though, that these do seem to be quite advanced lectures - bordering on tertiary standard - so I'm curious as to how many other people are finding the lectures.
  • Met the other landlords for the place that I'm moving into; quite nice people.
  • Delivered my second speech for Toastmasters. The third will be done on the Wednesday coming up.
  • The Archbishop came up on a Sunday. We had discussions about various things, particularly about the future. I've also put an idea to him - keeping posted when it occurs.
  • Trying to get my passport stuff all in hand.
Well, that's about everything for this month. So far, at least - there's still a week to go, after all!

1 comment:

Ian said...

Goodness me...I'm surprised you had time for uni given all you are doing! :)

A rest sounds like an eminently suitable idea; enjoy.