Friday, July 18, 2008

OT, History, maybe-move.

I'm currently doing an essay on the history of Israel. Or, more specifically, I'm currently doing an essay on Israel between the division between Judah (two tribes, successors to David) and Israel (ten tribes, not successors) and the fall of Samaria to the Assyrians, which is about a third of the way through 3 Kings (or 1 Kings, for those with the Protestant Bibles) to about two thirds of the way through 4 Kings (or 2 Kings, again, for those with the Protestant Bibles).

Not exactly thrilling stuff, I've gotta say. I'm not entirely sure how practical it is, too. It seems that the editors of the OSB agree - having some very sparse notes on the topic - and I'm just not sure how often a person is going to ask 'hey, I was thinking one day and wanted to know why Hoshea had a conspiracy against Pekah'. Because I've gotta say, after writing this essay, I'd probably say '...are you serious??'.

Maybe it's not my cup of tea. Fascinating as history is, of course...well, actually, no. I know, I'm studying to be a history teacher and all, but my interest is in modern history...and really, in events, watershed moments. Talk about the apartheid and I'm interested - talk about all the details in the 70 years (or whatever) between apartheid's institution and it's demise and I'm...well, yawning.

*sigh*. The things we do...

In other news, it looks like I'm moving out from my parents' house, sharing an apartment in the inner-city. I've gotta say, I'm really happy with how things are turning out - it may take a short while for God to step in after a succession of bad, but wait a week, maybe a month, and good things can, quite seriously, just start happening. It looks like I'll be making the move in mid-September...which will make it five places that I've lived in since the start of December. After over 20 years in one place, I think I'm making up for lost time :)

No comments: